Tulsa, Oklahoma, a city that seamlessly blends its rich history with modern vibrancy, is a destination that often surprises first-time visitors. Once a booming oil town, Tulsa has transformed into a cultural and recreational hub, offering diverse activities for all age groups. Whether you’re an art enthusiast, an adventure seeker, or someone looking for a relaxing getaway, Tulsa promises an unforgettable experience. This comprehensive guide aims to give you an insider’s look into the city, ensuring you capture its essence during your visit.
Things to do in Tulsa for Adults
- Tulsa Performing Arts Center: Beyond its regular performances, this centre often hosts international artists and troupes, making it a cultural melting pot. Take advantage of their behind-the-scenes tours.
- Philbrook Museum of Art: Set within a sprawling villa, the museum’s gardens are as captivating as its art collections. Monthly workshops and art talks are a bonus.
- Deco District: A walking tour here is like stepping back in time. The district boasts some of the country’s finest preserved Art Deco architecture, reminiscent of Tulsa’s opulent oil era.
Things to do in Tulsa for Young Adults
- Gathering Place: Recently voted as the best new attraction in America, this park is more than just green spaces. Its adventure playgrounds, skate parks, and boating adventures promise endless fun.
- Cain’s Ballroom: Known as the “Carnegie Hall of Western Swing,” this venue has seen legends like Bob Dylan grace its stage. Their themed nights are a hit among the youth.
- Blue Dome District: Once a historic gas station, the district is now the epicentre of Tulsa’s nightlife, with its eclectic bars, eateries, and live music venues.
Things to do in Tulsa, Oklahoma Today
- Woody Guthrie Center: More than a museum, it’s an interactive experience that delves deep into the life and legacy of the iconic folk singer.
- Tulsa Zoo: Spread over 85 acres, the zoo’s themed zones, like the Lost Kingdom and the Rainforest, offer immersive wildlife experiences.
- River Spirit Casino: Beyond gaming, the casino’s riverfront setting, live shows, and upscale restaurants make it a popular hangout spot.
Things to do in Tulsa, Oklahoma, This Weekend
- Tulsa Farmers’ Market: A sensory delight, the market blends colours, aromas, and sounds. Local artisans also showcase their crafts here.
- Utica Square: An open-air shopping haven, the square is lined with boutiques and cafes and hosts regular events like summer concerts.
- Tulsa Drillers Game: Experience the local fervour at a baseball game with cheering crowds and stadium snacks.
Things to do in Tulsa for Couples
- Spa Lux: Voted as one of the best spas in the country, their signature treatments, like the “Couples Retreat,” promise ultimate relaxation.
- Tulsa Botanic Garden: The themed gardens, especially the romantic A.R. and Marylouise Tandy Floral Terraces, are perfect for strolls.
- Oklahoma Aquarium: The unique experiences, like the “Shark Adventure,” allow couples to dive alongside bull sharks!
Free Things to Do in Tulsa
- Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness Area: With trails catering to all fitness levels, the panoramic city views from the summit are a reward.
- Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium: Watch for their free entry days, especially during special events like “Astronomy Day.”
- Art Crawl: A cultural treat, local artists open their studios to the public, offering insights into their creative processes.
Exciting Things to do in Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Centre of the Universe: Stand at a specific spot, and your voice will echo back, but mysteriously, others won’t hear it. This acoustic wonder has baffled many.
- Tulsa Cave House: Once a secret spot for illicit libations, its intriguing design and history make it a must-visit.
- Golden Driller Statue: Symbolizing Tulsa’s oil heritage, the statue has many fascinating tales associated with it.
Unique Things to Do in Tulsa
- The Outsiders House Museum: A pilgrimage for fans, the museum is dedicated to S.E. Hinton’s novel and the subsequent movie.
- Tulsa Tunnels: Once the city’s best-kept secret, these underground tunnels have many tales of yesteryears to share.
- Boston Avenue Methodist Church: A masterpiece of Art Deco architecture, the church’s guided tours offer deep insights into its design and history.
With its myriad offerings, Tulsa is a city that beckons to be explored beyond its surface. Every corner has a story, every street a history. This guide, while comprehensive, only scratches the surface. The true essence of Tulsa lies in its warm people, their tales, and the city’s undying spirit. So, lace up your walking shoes, let curiosity guide you, and embark on your Tulsa adventure.